Senior Software Engineer (Madison, WI)
Essential Job Duties (in order of priority)
Building web enabled clinical trial management software by:
- Designing and developing web-based systems using Java EE technologies in a multi-tiered environment including working with front-end components, business logic, workflow logic, backend systems as well as integration endpoints.
- Attending internal and external training.
- Reviewing professional publications.
- Participating in professional networks and/or organizations.
- Determining operational feasibility through analysis, problem definition, requirements gathering, solution development, and solution proposal.
- Studying information needs, conferring with users/focus groups, studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes.
- Applying a sense of urgency, commitment and focus on the right priorities in developing releases and solutions in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated logical, solution-oriented approach and possess the ability to offer a variety of solutions or functionality to solve problems.
- Performing technical root cause analysis and outlining corrective action for given problems.
- Documenting and demonstrating solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Working collaboratively and professionally with other Forte team (QA, PM, Support) members to achieve customer goals.
- Adhering to and enforcing Forte coding standards in accordance with applicable software development methodology and release processes.
- Working with Quality Assurance including functional performance and deployment issues.
- Collaborating and adding value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions.
- Mentoring less experienced Software Engineers.
- Serving as a technical lead including directing other’s work, as required.
- Managing the responsibility of participating on multiple projects.
- Reviewing product and/or application information including manuals and brochures for technical accuracy, as needed
Maintain Professional and Technical knowledge by:
Job Qualifications & Job Evaluation
Documentation: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma required.
- Masters or bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Working knowledge of clinical trial process and medical informatics is preferred
- Professional experience using Java based or other object-oriented programming technologies (Objective-C, C#, C++, etc.) for building database driven web applications.
- Professional experience using relational databases and writing SQL. Oracle specific knowledge preferred. Knowledge of PL/SQL a definite plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must possess the ability to write SQL in an ad hoc fashion to facilitate the troubleshooting of customer application issues.
- Understanding of object relational mapping preferably including the persistence API (JPA or NPA) and the use of corresponding frameworks (Hibernate, NHibernate, etc.).
- Well versed in the use of version control systems (SVN, Mercurial, Git, etc.).
- Professional experience in publishing and consuming SOAP and REST based web services.
- Strong attention to detail in diagnosing problems and ensuring solutions address the issues.
- Demonstrate proficient ability to capture and document software requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage project activities with and through internal relationships including Software Engineers, Customer Support, Quality Assurance and Project Management.
- Planning, organizing, setting objectives and managing time to meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of clinical trial process and medical informatics is preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
Forte Research Systems, now part of Advarra, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.